Cilantro Lime Rice
Cook Time: / Yeild: 6 Cups
- 2 cups jasmine or basmati rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Filtered water to cover by one inch
- This recipe is best done in an electric rice cooker for simplicity and consistent results. Add the rice to the inner pot of the rice cooker and rinse the rice a few times until the rinsing water is not as cloudy. Add bay leaves, olive oil and sea salt into the rice cooker and cover with water by one inch.
- Traditionally in my family we measure the water by setting the tip or our pointer finger on the very top of the rice and the water line should hit the crease of the first knuckle. This is an estimate of 1 inch of water above the rice. If you prefer to measure, the typical ratio for rice to water is 1 cup rice to 1.5 cups water in an electric rice cooker. For dryer rice you may do a 1:1 ratio. For brown rice it is recommended to error on more water then less. For a stovetop method follow the package recommendations for the water ratio and boiling time.
- You may choose to let the rice sit before cooking for 5-10 minutes and soak to reduce the cooking time and improve the fluffiness of the rice. Press the cook button on the rice cooker and set it on the counter so there is nothing above the steam vent.
- Once the rice is cooked, open the lid and allow the steam to release for a few minutes. Using a rice paddle stir in the lime juice, cilantro and additional sea salt to taste. Use slow folding scoops to keep the rice intact as you stir in the seasonings. Pair this with Instant Pot Black Beans or any of your family favorite legumes.