Lemon Cashew Cookie
Who doesn't love cashews! Did you know cashews provide high amounts of tryptophan, an amino acid that wards off depression and enhances your mood. One more good reason to try out these easy, grain-free, cashew lemon cookies. Make them into individual cookies or roll out the dough with a rolling pin and use your favorite cookie cutter shapes.
- 2 cups cashew pieces
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut flakes (plus ½ cup more for rolling)
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 8 Tbsp maple syrup, coconut nectar or honey
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 drops lemon essential oil (optional)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- Using a food processor, combine cashews, coconut flakes, sea salt and lemon zest until uniform.
- In a separate bowl, mix maple syrup or other liquid sweetener, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon essential oil.
- With the processor running, pour in the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients and process well.
- Continue to keep processor running and pour in coconut oil and process until you have achieved a cookie dough like texture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a tablespoon, scoop the dough and roll into balls. Roll balls in shredded coconut until covered and place on cookie sheet. May press balls into whatever shape you desire.
- *Option to also roll entire batch in fine coconut (to avoid sticking) and then use a rolling pin to roll it out flat. Use cookie cutters to make your desired shape
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes and allow to cool. Serve immediately or chill in frig for a more crisp cookie. Store any remaining cookies (provided you have any left) in the refrigerator.