Thyroid Health - Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism
What is the Thyroid?
The thyroid gland is a beautiful little butterfly-shaped gland on the front of the neck. Although tiny, this part of your endocrine (glandular) system is mighty important. The thyroid is responsible for many functions in the body such as:
- Controlling metabolism
- Body Temperature
- Immune System Function
Symptoms of Hypothyroid (underactive) Thyroid
- Brittle Nails
- Cold Intolerance
- Dry Skin
- Goiter (enlarged thyroid)
- Hair Loss
- Heavy Menstrual Cycles
- Irregular Heart Beat
- Weight Gain
Symptoms of Hyperthyroid (overactive) Thyroid
- Bulging Eyes
- Difficulty Sleeping
- Hair Loss
- Heat Intolerance
- Muscle Weakness
- Scant Menstrual Cycles
- Sweating Excessively
- Weight Loss
What Causes Thyroid Problems?
According to the American Thyroid Association, more than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime. An estimated 20 million Americans presently have some form of thyroid disease, and up to 60 percent of those with thyroid disease are unaware of their condition. Often it is women diagnosed with a thyroid problem. They estimate one in eight women will develop a thyroid disorder during her lifetime.
Why is thyroid disease so prevalent in our modern society? God distinctly designed the thyroid to play an important role and carry out specific functions in the human body. As with any part of our body, it is not designed to fail. There is always a reason why we have a "thyroid imbalance." It is likely one of the reasons below. Contrary to popular belief, if you are taking synthetic drugs from a doctor, you will never discover and heal your real health issues.
- Nuclear Poisoning & Radiation – DO NOT SKIP THIS! It may apply to you. It might be easy to brush this off. Who thinks nuclear waste or radiation poisoned them? Nuclear waste is in our tap water, especially if you live or have ever lived on or near a military facility. Radiation is in EVERY medical x-ray, MRI, Dental x-ray (remember that thyroid shield they put on you?), medical radiation treatments for cancer, and airport scanners.
- Tap Water Poisoning - If you are still drinking tap water, we encourage you to get a carbon-based filter and make sure it takes out fluoride. Fluoride and chlorine are very toxic to the thyroid. Especially fluoride. The perpetuated lie and myth that fluoride is good for your teeth is still believed by many but has a dark history if you research the truth. Many chemicals, herbicides, pesticides and pharmaceutical drugs show up in tap water.
- Mercury & Heavy Metals - are very damaging to your thyroid. Mercury from amalgam fillings have a direct path to your thyroid gland from the mouth.
- Poor Diet - Anything estrogenic will damage the thyroid. Foods with high levels of estrogen would include soy, beer, and hormones found in meat and dairy products. A weak thyroid can be sensitive to foods with high oxalates, so consider choosing to eat these foods in moderation or none at all if you have a poorly functioning thyroid. (e.i., spinach, chocolate, rhubarb, corn, almonds, buckwheat, and potatoes. More extensive lists can be found easily online).
- Stress & Anxiety - This might be one of the biggest causes of thyroid imbalance. When I see women with supposed thyroid problems, I find they are often stressed to their max. By working on the adrenal glands, calming and relaxing the body, the symptoms go away. The glandular system works together. When one part is out of balance, it is not long before the other glands start to show negative effects as well. I have seen this for years with dozens of people. Slow down, get to bed on time, pray, spend time in nature; take hot magnesium baths and use herbs and essential oils to help you relax. Our favorite is holy basil!
- Liver Problems - This is likely the most undiagnosed TRUE cause of thyroid problems. Thyroid hormone T4 must be converted by the liver into usable T3. It is the T3 that is so crucial for energy and metabolism in the cells of the body. In other words, if you have a liver problem, you may very well have a thyroid problem.
Misdiagnosis & Medical Interventions
Misdiagnosis of thyroid problems is rampant in our medical field. Blood work is a horribly inaccurate indicator of thyroid health. Thousands are given medication they don't need; thousands more never know they have thyroid issues because their blood work comes back "normal."
Presently the medical field uses TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) as the gold standard for blood thyroid testing. However, TSH numbers change all the time based on lifestyle factors. They can be different from one day to the next. A blood draw is a "snapshot" of your current blood levels. TSH levels change based on stress levels (cortisol levels block TSH production), infections, blood sugars, insulin levels, depression and many other factors. This is why millions of people are in mass confusion over their thyroid blood tests, numbers, medications, and proper dosages. The numbers seem to be all over the place, all the time.
Doctors will also check TSH, T2, T3, T4, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, and antibodies. Confused yet? So are the doctors. It is mostly a guessing game based on inaccurate information. The problem with that is dangerous drug therapies that weaken your body are being given as solutions instead of life-giving, healing therapies, and plants God has given us.
According to The George Mateljan Foundation, a non-profit foundation that shares scientifically proven information about the benefits of healthy eating:
“Most physicians use outdated reference ranges when testing thyroid function. Also, studies have demonstrated that standard thyroid tests do not correlate well with tissue thyroid levels, which causes inaccurate diagnoses. Most physicians and endocrinologists believe TSH is the best indicator of the thyroid function of an individual. However, someone can suffer from a significantly slow thyroid despite having a normal TSH, free T3 and free T4. Some will test for T3. People can also have low T3 and show normal T4 and normal TSH. Many practitioners do not realize that this indicates a selenium or zinc deficiency, rather than a problem with the thyroid.”
Hashimoto's Disease is a diagnosis given to thousands of people that make them feel hopeless. Don't feel hopeless! As with any thyroid condition, there is a reason. Continue to do the things recommended to heal your thyroid naturally and don't stress about the diagnosis.
How to Test for Thyroid Imbalances?
Basal body temperature testing is the best way to check for thyroid imbalances (see instructions below). Checking your body temperature upon rising is much more accurate than any blood test. If consistently below 97.8 degrees you have low thyroid function.
Other tests that can be helpful are lab testing for chemical toxicity and heavy metals to find out if the body is dealing with any major toxins that could be affecting thyroid function. Spirit of Health uses Great Plains Laboratory to check for contaminants that could be damaging your thyroid:
- GPL-TOX is a test that checks over 170 chemical toxins such as perchlorates (rocket fuel), fuel additives, estrogenic compounds, herbicides, pesticides and more.
- Hair Metals Test will check for heavy metals such as mercury, aluminum, lead, arsenic, cadmium and more.
How to Test Your Thyroid Using Basal Body Temperature
The basal temperature test is quite accurate when the temperature is tested in the axilla (armpit) each morning for a period of four days. Menstruating females should also take temperatures on the second and third days of your period. If the temperature is consistently low, then there is a hypo (under function) of the thyroid gland, in spite of what a laboratory analysis indicates.
Note: Traditional mercury thermometers may not be easy to find, and digital thermometers may be your only option. In this case, locate a basal digital thermometer (typically located with birth control/fertility supplies).
- At night, before retiring, shake down a thermometer and lay it beside your bed, on your night table or chair.
- Upon awakening, do not get up or move around. Place the thermometer under your armpit pressing your arm against your bare body. Relax and leave it there for ten minutes by the clock. Take it out, read, and write down your results. Be sure to record each reading accurately. It is your accuracy that determines the value of the test. Do this each morning for four days.
Dangers of Drug Therapies
In a 2014 survey by IMS Health, levothyroxine (Synthroid, AbbVie) continues to be the nation's number one most prescribed drug in America. Millions of people are on thyroid medications and unaware of the fact that it is damaging and weakening their body. Synthetic drugs are contrary to God's purpose and design. They work against the body, and work against what God is trying to show us through our symptoms. You will never heal a thyroid taking pharmaceuticals. Often you will only manage your symptoms and some even struggle to do just that. Let's learn why this true:
Levothyroxine and other thyroid medications are made from synthetic chemicals. Your body doesn't like or understand synthetic chemicals, because they are mostly made of coal tar. Synthetics compete for your body's natural hormone receptors. This is extremely dangerous. In other words, this synthetic man-made molecule that looks sort of like your natural T2, T3 or T4 will start to plug up your hormone receptors, blocking the natural ones your body is producing. The result? Your thyroid weakens, shuts down and stops trying to produce its own hormones. Over time, you need more medications, different dosages, or it just stops working altogether. This isn't medicine! It's destruction.
Lack of pharmaceutical drugs is not the cause of any health issue!
Armour, Nature-Thyroid, and other more natural options also have their problems. They are often "compounded" in a pharmacy where they add in the synthetics such as T2, T3 or T4 along with glandulars from animals, usually a pig. You don't need a pig to heal your thyroid. There is something else going on that needs to be discovered and corrected. It can be helpful, and it is better than the synthetic drugs, but they will only provide temporary relief if the underlying problem goes unresolved.
If the liver is the true cause of your thyroid imbalance and symptoms, now you are taking pharmaceutical drugs for the thyroid when there is nothing really wrong with the thyroid! So the drugs weaken and damage your thyroid, and on top of it, you never address the real problem which is the liver.
Iodine & Thyroid Health
“Insufficient iodine leads to a decrease in thyroid hormones. The manifestations of low iodine levels are grouped together under the name Iodine Deficiency Disorder (IDD). These disorders include goiter (enlarged thyroid gland), hypothyroidism, mental retardation, reproductive problems, and a wide range of neurological and physical disorders. The body does not produce iodine; it must be consumed in the diet. IDD arises when there is not enough iodine in the soil, which impacts the water we drink (groundwater leaches iodine), the crops we eat (food grown in iodine-poor soil), and meats we consume (from animals grazing on the land).” “Soy is known as a phytoestrogen and goitrogen (an iodine blocking agent). …, soy can contribute to hypothyroidism.” -Dr. Stephen E. Langer (M.D.) – President of the American Nutritional Medical Association
“How important is the thyroid? …the thyroid is the largest pure endocrine gland, …its hormone acts directly on DNA, … it is the first endocrine organ to form in the human embryo, starting a mere twenty-four days after conception …in adults, the thyroid receives, gram for gram, 50 percent more blood flow than the kidneys.” “The dietary nutrient iodine is needed to make thyroid hormone. Follicular cells trap it from the blood, making the thyroid, in effect, a powerful iodine sponge.” -Dr. Ken Blanchard (M.D., Ph.D.) – Board-certified Endocrinologist
Xodine Iodine Loading Protocol by Cedar Bear
- Do NOT consume any goitrogen containing foods, beverages or water during the Xodine Iodine loading protocol
- Take basal temperature upon arising on day iodine loading protocol will start, and take basal temperature reading every morning during iodine loading protocol
- Check and record pulse rate before taking first iodine loading dose of Xodine Iodine
- Consume iodine loading dose of Xodine as per Xodine Iodine loading protocol instructions (see below)
- 10 minutes after taking a dose of Xodine Iodine, check and record pulse rate
- If pulse rate has not increased by more than 10%, then initial iodine loading dose may be continued as per instructions. If however, the pulse rate increases by more than 10% then the per-dose intake of Xodine needs to be reduced until the pulse rate does not exceed 10% of the initial pulse rate taken prior to starting the Xodine Iodine loading protocol
- Loading Protocol Dosage Schedule for Xodine Liquid Iodine
Maintenance Daily Use Recommended Dose (as listed on bottle label) is 3 drops of Xodine a day to maintain a daily.
- First 2 to 4 weeks: 4 to 6 drops of Xodine Iodine 2 to 4 times a day (depending on need and systematic effects)
- Following 2 weeks: 6 to 8 drops two times a day for the following two weeks
- Thereafter: 3 drops per day as a maintenance dose listed on Xodine Iodine bottle label
- Dosage can be increased from time to time for one week, as needed, with return thereafter to dose listed on the bottle label
- Learn more about Iodine loading from Cedar Bear >
Top 7 Ways to Heal your Thyroid Naturally
- Nutrition - Simply avoid soy, beer, hormones in meat, dairy, and avoid overdoing high-oxalate foods. Eat a clean diet of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, healthy fats and lean meats. For ideal thyroid health, avoid dairy, any processed grains (especially those containing gluten), and sugars (besides fruits). Try a whole foods plan like Eating by Design.
- Get Grounded - Connecting to the earth has negative ions that heal the glandular system. You can do this by hanging out with God in the garden, forest, desert, or ocean. You can also buy earthing sheets or mats which have helped thousands of people receive this healing energy from the comfort of their own home. Check out the iMRS therapies. It is an ACTIVE healing energy from the earth.
- Get Tested & Detoxify the Thyroid - Try the Great Plains Laboratory GPL-TOX, Hair Metals Test, or other testing to discover possible toxicity. The best method for detoxifying your body is through a quality Far Infrared Sauna. Some of the best products to clean up herbicides, pesticides, fluoride, and other contaminants would be the
- GI Broom by Dr. Morse (contains both clay and charcoal)
- Toxin Therapy by Harmonic Innerprizes (contains both chlorella and cilantro)
- Metal Free by Body Health.
- Reduce Stress - Many thyroid imbalances are from stress and adrenal issues.
- Support the Thyroid with Nutrients - There are certain things the thyroid needs to function optimally. The body needs iodine and L-Tyrosine (an amino acid) to produce thyroid hormones. Here is what the thyroid needs for optimal function.
- Iodine - This is best through seaweed sources or black walnut.
- L-Tyrosine - You can get this through amino acid supplements or in foods such as nuts, seeds, and most meat products.
- Minerals - Selenium and zinc are both very important. Nuts and seeds are good sources.
- We highly recommend the Inner Vitality plant minerals by Morningstar Minerals
- Take a Good Thyroid Formula.
- Cleanse the liver - As mentioned above, the liver is the root of many thyroid issues.
Tips Specifically for OVER-Active Thyroids
- Never use a glandular product
- CALM down the thyroid by using the products listed above to reduce stress and strengthen the adrenals
- Avoid all caffeine 100%
- Iodine CAN be a solution for hyperthyroid. However, start with VERY small dosages, and give it a few days before increasing. It can calm a thyroid storm and restore balance to the thyroid if done slowly.
The thyroid is important. Your energy, body temperature, metabolism, and health are important. Everything God made and designed is important, especially in your body. Please don't be misled by the common medical testing based on blood work. Please don't blindly take synthetic pharmaceutical drugs that work against how God designed your body to function. ALL pharmaceuticals are chemical-based toxins.
Common medical treatment of the thyroid gland is misleading and dangerous. We must learn from our symptoms, discover the source of our thyroid imbalance and heal naturally. This is what promotes long-term health and longevity. It might take more work, but you and your health are worth it!