The Foundations of Health: Part 5 - Sleep
Sleep is essential to existence, so guarding time for sleep is necessary. Lack of sleep can lead to memory impairment, disruption of motor skills, increased risk of depression, and abusive habits. A well-rested person can handle daily stress with grace. Fighting for good sleep hygiene for the whole family is essential to a healthy lifestyle. Once you establish good sleeping habits; you will see a change in every aspect of your emotional and physical health.
Here are some strategies for healthy sleep:
• Create a bedtime routine that winds down the body.
• Wind down with a cup of tea, meditation, prayer, reading a book, lighting candles, playing soothing music, a magnesium bath or watching the sunset.
• Electronics and blue light from screens are known to disrupt sleep and trigger the brain to stay awake. Eliminate bright electronics 60-90 minutes before bedtime.
• Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
• Limit caffeine, alcohol, and stimulants as they disrupt healthy sleep.
• Keep your bedroom dark and quiet; make sure it is a place of peace and rest.
When a person or family begins to implement these five principles in this series into their daily routine, they will see changes that have a lasting effect physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Maintaining this kind of balance will help you connect with God; and walk in the love, joy, peace, patience, and self-control that He designed you.
…the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things, there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23
If you've missed parts 1-4 of our Foundations of Health Series, check out our previous posts here, or review this summary before jumping in below:
Part 1 encourages you to create a healthy diet. This basic principle is a plumb-line to encourage a healthy diet. When we eat God's original foods, we become full of life and vitality; sickness and disease are not present in our bodies, and our minds become more precise and more creative.